The Board of Trustees (School Board) for the Somerville Independent School District consists of seven members as provided for by the Texas Education Code and other applicable laws pertaining to the organization and operations of local schools. Each member is elected to serve a three-year term, and terms are staggered such that the composition of the School Board may change each year following an election to fill seats for expired terms.
The School Board conducts business according to the Texas Open Meetings Act. Any action taken by the Board must be taken by vote of the members in open session and is subject to a majority rule voting system. The Board reorganizes each year by electing a new President, Vice President and Secretary at the first meeting following the election and following seating and swearing in of any new members.
The School Board meets at least once each month in Regular Meeting and may call Special Meetings as required. Regular meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month. Each meeting Notice and Agenda is posted online in BoardBook via the SISD website and on the bulletin board outside the Administration Building at least 72 hours before the meeting. The School Board intends to actively utilize this website to publicize meetings, actions, and information important to the public.
|Board Member||Position||Term Expires|
|Bryan Crook||President||May 2021|
|James Douglas||Vice-President||May 2020|
|Joe Gonzales||Member||May 2021|
|Linda Pinkerton||Secretary||May 2022|
|Stanley Smith||Member||May 2020|
|Melissa Tharp||Member||May 2021|
|Jason Urbanosky||Member||May 2022|
Date and Location of Next Trustee Election:
- Early Voting: April 20, 2020 through April 24, 2020, Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Early Voting: April 27, 2020 through April 28, 2020, Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Election Day: Saturday, May 2, 2020, Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Location: Administration Building Board Room, 625 8th Street, Somerville, Texas
January 15, 2020 through February 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Deadline to file a declaration of write-in candidacy is 5 p.m. on February 18, 2020.
- Current state law requires a candidate for trustee of an independent school district to be a qualified voter by the time required by Election Code Section 141.001.
- An application for place on the ballot (PDF) must be filed with the secretary of the school district board.
- In a special election held by a school district, an application for a place on the special election ballot (PDF) must be filed with the secretary of the school district board.